Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Half-Meet

In the past few weeks, I've had a few disturbingly similar situations come up. Maybe this is a new trend that I missed the Gossip Girl episode for, but let me paint you the scenario.

Okay, so I'm at a social get together with friends. At said get together, there are friends of my friends whom I do not yet know. So, as is typically common practice, I move to introduce myself. The exchanges have gone something like this...

ME: "Hey, how's it going? I'm Mike."

(shakes their hand)

PARTY #2: "Nice to meet you Mike."

ME: "....."

PARTY #2: "....."

ME: "...so...you have a name?"

PARTY #2: "Oh, I'm Tom/Phil/Dumbass/It Doesn't matter"

Yes, apparently introductions no longer require the second party to disclose a name of any kind. I can understand the paranoia in the post-9/11 world in which we live, but the fact that this occurred several times over the past few weeks struck me as odd. Has anyone else been a victim of this - the Half-Meet?

No comments: